Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thailand and India

Dear friends,

Hello again, this time from the sunny Portland, Oregon.  I'm here for a week before I make my way to the Land of Smiles, aka Thailand, for 3 weeks.  This is part of a field experience for an Asian and Asian American Feminist Theology course I will be taking at Wooster this spring.  Please follow our class' blog here, as I will not be bringing a laptop to post on my own frequently.  I will, however, provide some sort of reflection and photos on this blog once I return in January.

I will start and end my journey in Bangkok but will spend most of my time in Chiang Mai.

We have got quite the full itinerary for our trip.  We'll be learning about the Thai culture (in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Mae Ta, and Doi Lan), visiting with religious and feminist organizations, and also learning about work to eradicate social injustices by various groups in the country.  For me, I see this experience as a way for many of my interests to come together: travel, my identity as half-Japanese growing up in America, social change, and cross-cultural interaction.  I'm also looking forward to all things agriculture: we will be visiting Mae Ta, a village in northern Thailand which recently converted to organic farming.  And, as a special bonus I will get to meet up with Teya, my family's former exchange student who lived with us in 2008-2009!

Thailand's not all about the Grand Palace, although it is definitely one of Bangkok's amazing architectural features.

On another note, I have done little to forget about my experiences this past summer with Global Social Entrepreneurship in India.  I participated in recruiting the team for GSE 2012 and out of a large applicant pool 12 amazing students were selected.  We even made it into the Huffington Post.

My brother also was lucky enough to travel to India for 3 weeks just a few weeks ago, doing some educational tours and also volunteer work in Kerala (see his trip's blog here).  I will post some of his reflections before I leave for Thailand, so be on the lookout.  In the meantime, here's some sneak peek photos.
 
Part of the time Colin spent in India was devoted to making a mural at Hope Clinic.

The yellow submarine credit goes to Colin.

A beautiful Kerala sunset, taken from a Kerala backwaters boat ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment