Sunday, July 3, 2011

Reflections on Global Social Entrepreneurship



Every week we spend three hours at a session hosted by the Center for Social Initiative and Management (CSIM).  This week our own program was featured in the session.  As preparation for this presentation, Professor Moledina had us answer the following four questions.  I answered them for the CSIM session and then revised my answers afterwards based upon insights I gained from our discussion.  Here’s how they turned out.

1. What do you think Global SE is?
  • GSE is all about context.  Global = contextual.  This context could be cultural, geographical, socioeconomic, gender, values, etc.  When we come to volunteer at Dream a Dream and EnAble India we need to understand the contexts that these organizations are working in.  Once we understand the contexts we learn how to find solutions that are contextually appropriate. 
  • GSE is also all about having a special mindset.  It’s a learning mindset rather than a “I’m going to give you an answer” mindset.  Asking questions.  Observing what’s around us and what’s been done before.  Could something that was successful somewhere else be modified to fit the special context we’re in?  Part of this learning mindset is understanding the ecosystem we are are in.
  • Because GSE is all about understanding context and having a learning mindset, it becomes a highly collaborative experience.  In this collaborative experience we are avoiding hierarchy and avoiding arrogance. 
  • In the larger scope, global social entrepreneurs envision systems-level change.  I like Bill Draken’s quote about changing the entire fishing industry rather than giving someone fish/teaching them how to fish (I used this in a previous post about Ashoka Fellows).  In order to achieve systems level change, global social entrepreneurs need to think outside of the box.
  • The systems level change means that the models for change need to self-sustaining models.  They need to empower those who are experiencing the social problem and make sure that the solution is rooted in the entire community.  When one person or one NGO leaves the positive changes should not disappear.
  • Wooster’s GSE program is about trying to actively create change rather than just talk about it.  So much of academics is talking, but sometimes you just can’t understand the full scope of a situation unless you’ve experienced it yourself.  Once we’ve participated in the experiential learning process, then we can start devising solutions.
  • Finally, Wooster’s GSE program is about personal growth.  What do I learn about myself?  What do I enjoy working on?  Where do I fit in to help affect change?

2. Why did you enroll in it?
I chose to participate in GSE because I’m interested in social justice.  However, I don’t just want to talk about social justice.  I want to do social justice.  If you received a letter from me in the spring you might remember me mentioning this.  At Wooster we do lots of talking about social problems but not as much action.  I think that action is just as important, especially in an academic setting where you are learning skills and methods to take your forward in your life. 

I also chose to enroll in GSE because I thought it would put me out of my comfort zone.  I’m used to being a volunteer in American NGOs and doing labor that pretty much anybody could do.  In GSE I am completing a very intensive project in an entirely different context.  I wanted to make myself do something new like that. 

3. What was your project?
Sam and I worked at EnAble India which is an NGO that works to train and then find employment for disabled adults.  We are finishing up a report that proposes the creation of a knowledge-sharing network for ten Indian NGOs that work for employment of persons with disabilities (PWD).  By sharing knowledge (including best practices) the hope is that these NGOs can better achieve their own specific goals while also working for the common good.  In order to devise our report, Sam and I did lots of research on effective NGO networks.  We also interviewed a number of potential member NGOs to hear their thoughts on knowledge-sharing and see what knowledge they could provide to other NGOs.

4. How has this project affected how you think about working for social change?
I have learned a lot about how I fit into the social change spectrum while working on this project.  I’ve learned that I do not consider myself a social entrepreneur.  Social entrepreneurs work 24/7 and are usually very intense and extroverted people.  I am not like that.  Maybe I can be a different type of person that works for social change.  Or, maybe I should redefine my notion of “social entrepreneur.”  Nonetheless, I know that I am more of a “hands” worker rather than a “head” worker (which is ironic because I chose to attend a liberal arts college where we pretty much only do head work).  I want to be out in the field carrying out the programs rather than thinking up how to do them.  And I’m okay with being this type of person.  I continue to believe that I want a large part of my life to be working for social change.

Conclusions
There is no right answer to what GSE is.  This is just what I’ve gathered so far from our seminar, this internship, and from talks with people we’ve met along the way.  I have done a lot of personal reflection during this experience and I will continue to reflect even after I get on a plane in one week.  I don’t think that my notion of GSE will just stay as what I’ve written above.  It’s still an incomplete picture.  Like most things in my head, it will change.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting piece! I'm a fan now... keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete